Who Runs the World? Girls


James Joyce the author of the novel Ulysses had a strong passion for women in this novel. Although I only read the last paragraph of the novel it was still obvious to readers of the sense of strong, independent women characters in the novel. Molly the main character, has many similar characteristics to many women in our world today. She seems to be insecure in her relationship, she constantly is worried that he might not love her. But, she is mostly worried about why there is no sexual connection between the two. Molly, and her lover had a physical connection at one point, but she felt like she lost that connection after a day of making love.

 I believe many young girls could relate to this part of the novel. Since Molly was fighting for his love, and wanted some answers for why there were no longer any sexual feelings. In our world today many young girls are losing their virginities at even younger ages now. Before they are mentally prepared to do so. This is creating a problem in their young minds since typically there is no sense of ‘real love’ involved in these types of sexual encounters.  Then the young girls are left to feel like Molly, confused, and digging to understand why. After some time Molly realizes that women are her focus. She believes that women should be running the government, and starts to become more of an independent women. I also find this relatable to girls of any age after going through a break-up. With some time things always get better, and the women always come out stronger and ready to tackle the world.

This website gives an insight on the ages that are normal now for girls to lose their virginities. It also shows how this can affect them mentally. 

Comments

  1. While I love your ideas on the power of women, I can't help but wonder about those beliefs, and how they are shown through this final chapter. At the end, Penelope decides to stay with her man, despite the absent sex, and chooses to value the family structure over individual liberties. She's adulterous and ultimately doesn't choose the independent choice to break up. She stays within the construct of oppressed women, not breaking free and showing the power of women that you speak about. I couldn've just misinterpreted a few passages, but it seems like Joyce is showing the power of perception instead, in that every event can be viewed from an infinite amount of perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected the feelings Molly had throughout the last chapter to how young girls are in today's society. I agree that I think that Molly was very confused at the end because of her sexual encounter, but I also wonder why she chose to stay in her relationship. I feel like this also connects to young women today, because sex is such a forced and prominent act in relationships now, and if men or women aren't getting the physical side of a relationship, that is sometimes the reason it ends. So, I think it's also interesting that she stayed, but I question why if most of the last chapter she is thinking of her physical encounter, when she wasn't getting that in her actual relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog about this story! I think that your thoughts are very relatable to women still today and it oftentimes leaves women with heartbreak. I also think that there may be more to this story (which there is because this was only from the last chapter). It would be interesting to read through again with this thought in mind and see how it changes the perspective. I think you connect your thoughts well to the story and how it relates to women today. - Mackenzie Eckley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the title of this piece because I feel like the empowerment of Molly's character is captured well! I also think that there was a lot of power to your point about girl's confidence. While sex should not be the basis for one's confidence, it is certainly a mentality plaguing young women today and Molly seems like an early victim. I didn't make that leap entirely in my own analysis and I think it is cool that you were able to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Women

Unaccepting Parents